Adventures of a veg*n.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Pasta, Snails, Bake Sale

This afternoon I saw this recipe that Lindy Loo altered from Vegetarian Times. It looked real good, so I had to make it tonight! We had a "family dinner," it was me, Chris, Michelle, and her boyfriend Pat.

The consensus was that it was good, but didn't have a lot of flavor. It needed some spice, but I'm not sure what.. any suggestions? Michelle and Pat added garlic powder to theirs. I liked using vegan cream cheese as a base for the sauce, it was good and thick.

Then, for dessert I guess you could say, I had some leftover dough from the crust of my pie, so I made these "snails." It's just rolled out dough spread with a little Earth Balance and cinnamon-sugar. Then I rolled it up and cut them! Like mini cinnamon rolls.

And finally.. I was elected treasurer of the sax studio and.. we don't have any money! So it's my job to get us some. I'm starting with a bake sale in a few weeks. Here's the sign I made to hang up around Swope (the music building.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the food looks good!

congrats!!!! i like the sign :)

Anonymous said...

What are you going to make for the bake sale? I want to go to a bake sale that has vegan goods sometime in my life. mm, baked things!

laura k said...

Oh, I hope the bake sale is a hit! I love the poster--so classy!

bazu said...

Um, I'd say there's a good chance the sax studio will have more money than it'll know what to do with after that bake sale! I so wish I lived closer to yo so I could come and eat everything- I mean, support your group! Very cool. And those snails look great too- I guess I'm in a sweets mood right now. =)

Carrie™ said...

I go snaily for snails! OK, that was pretty lame, but I do LOVE cinnamon rolls. One of my weaknesses.
I hope you have great success with your bake sale. I like how you put "allergies" instead of "vegan" on the poster. Sometimes people just don't "get" it and wouldn't come if "vegan" was advertised. Good thinking! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

theONLYtania said...

Emmie - I'm making cinnamon rolls.. banana bread, a few different kinds of cookies, muffins. Then my mom is donating some (non-vegan) cookies and some of the other saxes are making (non-vegan) brownies. So we should have a wide selection! Something for everybody.

Bazu - I don't have your address but if you send it to me I could send you some of the fruits of my bake sale labor! Hehe.

Carrie - Haha. Snaily, huh? Yeah, I thought about what exactly to put on the sign. I thought it would be better to say we catered to peoples' allergies.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Your snails are so cute & clever! Way to go using up the dough... Speaking of dough, great poster & idea to make $$$ - hope it's a huge success! :)